After all speculations and confusions, medical examinations have confirmed that the Hall of Fame musician Tom Petty (66) died due to an accidental drug overdose. Despite the above autopsy results, Annakim Petty (35), Tom’s daughter, continues to insist that her father was not addicted to drugs. Instead, she opted to go online for sharing this message through the social media platforms like Instagram.
According to a report of the medical examiner, a number of drugs like fentanyl, oxycodone, temazepam, alprazolam, etc. were found in his body. Suffering from severe hip pain, Annakim pinpointed the consumption of various medications as the main reason behind the accidental drug overdose. In fact, his pain became unbearable due to a fractured hip and other ailments like coronary artery atherosclerosis and emphysema. This led him to consume a large amount of painkillers.
Reflecting upon the strength of her father, Annakim said that he chose to transform his anger into a rock ‘n’ roll band to overcome mental pain caused due to abusive childhood. Known for not hiding anything from his fans, she further mentioned how he overcame a crippling drug problem with no shame.
The proud daughter also expressed her pride in her father’s commitment toward music. She said, “His recent death is tragic yet he died from doing what he loved and what will continue to keep his spirit alive. Touring with a broken hip because he would have it no other way. He loved performing. There are no hypothetical questions I love my dad and feel he is an immortal badass.”
Before concluding her message, she also mentioned about the extent of pain caused to the singer due to his hip surgery. She said that it was far beyond a normal surgery. Adding further, she wrote, “He is at peace out of pain I thank you for respecting my family’s privacy and inviting love during this shocking new chapter. My dad loved his life and left behind so much love in his music for us to share. Invite love listen to Tom Petty. He passed away with his family in a room filled with love. I feel very connected to him.”
Unsupervised consumption of painkillers far too dangerous than imagined
The autopsy report by the Los Angeles County Coroner confirmed that the singer had died due to “multi-system organ failure” caused due to “mixed drug toxicity.” The drugs found during the autopsy including fentanyl and oxycodone are used for treating moderate to severe pain. While they are effective when taken under medical supervision, when consumed for self-medication purposes it can be dangerous. Besides being addictive in nature, they affect the brain like the illicit drug heroin.
The long-term consumption of painkillers leads to the development of increased dependence and tolerance toward such drugs. Moreover, they are like a gateway drug to heroin abuse. In the absence of opioids, users often resort to inexpensive drugs and unhealthy behaviors, such as stealing prescriptions, sharing medicines, etc. This increases the risk of committing crimes and indulging in violent behaviors. The chances of developing psychiatric disorders are also significantly high among people suffering from opioid addiction.
Road to recovery
Any form of drug addiction is life threatening in nature. Therefore, one must refrain himself or herself from using any sort of drugs for self-medication and nonmedical purposes to avoid developing an addiction. Furthermore, one should stay in limits and follow a balanced life pattern to live happily and remain healthy forever. It is possible to recover from all sorts of addiction. All one needs is firm determination, hard work and the right kind of support.
If you know someone addicted to drugs looking for the details about the best treatment for drug addiction in Arizona, contact the Arizona Drug Addiction Helpline. Call at our 24/7 drug addiction helpline 866-576-4147 or chat online with one of our experts to seek guidance and the necessary information about the best addiction treatment centers in Arizona or some other part of the U.S.